Let Us Clear Our Throats

Monday, March 27, 2006

Ringtone ramblings and more nintendo nostalgia

Those near and dear to me (and those near me when I can't find my phone in public) know that my ringtone is the Super Mario's Theme
Here is a video of a guy playing the theme song on two, count'em two guitars!



Some people view the super mario brother's theme as an improvement from my old ringtone (an indian pop song) and some just view it as another annoyance.
Its sad but I have to admit that one of the only reasons I want a new phone is so I can download ringtones at a reasonably monthly fee instead of paying 2 bucks for one from Verizon. Just imagine the million more 'annoying' ringtones I could have personalized for each and everyone one of you!

However with ringtones comes great responsibility. One must deal with the issues of ringtone equality and ringtone pressure. With personalized ringtones for some but not all, you run the risk of friends questioning why they don't have a special ring or why they have the ringtone you designated them. Should you have to explain your ringtone reasoning or hierarchy? That's like having to justify your speed dial or top 8. Your ringtones and speed dialing are something you decide on but never want to back up with logic and reason to a third party that may have been excluded.

Our ringtones say a lot about us. Did we take the time to change the preprogrammed ringers? Do we even care? Did we make the effort to pick particular song for a particular person or just designate the same one for everybody? Do we have to pick a song that will correctly represent us to the world or atleast those standing around us when the phone rings? What if the person next to you doesn't realize you chose that song or ringtone in jest and thinks you actually really do love that new Hillary Duff song!


hmmm...maybe I'll just stick to the super mario brothers theme, it is a classic.

2 Comments:

  • love it and love the blog.

    check out our blog:

    Memowars

    By Blogger ronsta, at 3/28/2006 11:01 AM  

  • For the record I just wanted to say that I break my ringtones up in terms of the people calling. So my family members have one ringtone, Dr. Dre's "G-Thang" , because it's from the West Coast, where I'm from, and everyone else gets Pete Rock & CL Smooth's "T.R.O.Y". Secretly I feel proud everytime my phone rings and people hear. AlthoughI guess it's not a secret anymore. Damn the internet.

    By Blogger Shakes, at 3/28/2006 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home