Let Us Clear Our Throats

Monday, May 08, 2006

National "Security"

So I've been doing a lot of traveling lately and while I don't love all the extra time going through security takes, I know its important and for the sake of national security I'll practically strip, take out my laptop and take off my shoes. But I think they're getting a bit too busy making us take our jackets and belts off and not paying attention to some other slightly minor details, like checking your ID for instance.
When I checked in to fly to Chicago I gave the guy my ID. He looked at me kinda funny
(not so unusual considering my picture is a lil old and I'm tan in the pic, something that hasn't been repeated in years) and said, Have you checked in already? I said no and he continued to check me in. I don't think much of it and continue on.
I finally get to my window seat on the plane (essential for sleeping which is my usual flying activity) and after everyone in my row sits down the girl on the aisle seat says, isn't A the window seat? Because I'm suppose to sit there. I say yes but I have 6A, what does your ticket say? She pulls it out and it says 6A as well but it also has MY name on it. WTF!? For a split second I think wow, what a coincidence (yes, I have my blonde, gullible moments) but then recover and ask her what her name is. Turns out we have the same last names but different first names. VERY different first names (Whitney vs. Rashonda).
So turns out she checked in before me and the guy at the ticket counter was being so meticulous he checked her in as me and the person that checks your ID and ticket before you go into the xray and metal detectors was being extra fastidious as well and missed the fact that the girls ID and ticket didn't match up.
So definitely ridiculous and kinda a lil frightening that such a huge mistake could be made in light of the heightened security. Despite it all I still managed to konk out immediately after take off. Good to know that my ability to sleep where ever and when ever can't be deterred by a minor 'threat' to national security.

1 Comments:

  • i once got on the wrong flight without a problem. i didn't even realize my mistake until i noticed that there was a dude in my seat. as it turns out i was going on another flight to LA, 10minutes later. also for whatever reason the Indian id checkers at Newark just smile and let me through most of the time without checking my id...that way I can get to my body cavity search quicker at the metal detectors.

    By Blogger Shakes, at 5/10/2006 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home